Back-End Software Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
Rosie is the most trusted, locally focused ecommerce company. We partner with leading local retailers and their wholesalers to provide customers with same-day delivery or in-store pickup options, helping shoppers discover products from local stores.
Launched in 2013, our company is built around the idea that everyone should be able to shop online from their favorite local stores. It’s an audacious, incredibly rewarding mission that our increasingly diverse team is dedicated to achieving alongside our brick and mortar retail partners and the communities they proudly serve.
In January 2021 Rosie raised $10M in Series A financing to aggressively expand this model across the United States. Rosie is growing quickly and we’re excited about the possibility of you joining our team.
Rosie is an industry leading online grocery shopping platform for mobile and web. Rosie launched in July 2013 and today enables customers to shop online from their favorite local stores for same-day delivery or in-store pickup. Rosie partners with local retailers and their wholesalers to provide e-commerce, delivery opportunities, omni-channel marketing and deep data services. IBM selected Rosie as the Top Startup in North America in its 2014 IBM Smartcamp Competition.
As a senior back-end engineer your focus will be building new services, automating business processes, integrating with third party partners, and helping refactor the existing platform to maintain performance as we continue to scale.
You will be supported by best-in-class peers in design, engineering, testing, and devops who are all on the same mission.
You can make an impact
Our team will help you grow
We will provide the tools for you to succeed
We offer comprehensive salary and benefits (health insurance, dental, 401k, unlimited vacation)
We live to create moments that deliver delight
Our Core Values
We seek people who enjoy exploring, understanding, and solving complex problems.
Nothing Is Sacred
We embrace change and welcome new ideas that challenge tradition.
Each one of us is responsible for the culture and environment in which we work.
By supporting each other’s tasks and complimenting each other’s skills, we collectively face every road block with an intention of powerful progress.
Enthusiasm Makes Ordinary People Extraordinary
We believe that a group of passionate individuals can change the world.
Inclusion and diversity
We employ a diverse workforce that allows us to have freedom and comfortability in our pursuit of success.
Rosie is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
The job is right for you if:
- You want to build a world class product
- You love learning new things
- You want to work with a team of highly motivated and collaborative peers
- You always put the user first
- You want to ship code often
- You care about code quality and maintainability
- You want to change the world (with groceries)
Back-End Engineer Qualifications
- 2+ years of experience in software engineering.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Software Engineering, Application Development, Computer Science, or similar.
- Experience working in a team setting, helps uphold the values and standards of the development team.
- Experience developing with Ruby on Rails in a production environment.
- Experience refactoring legacy codebases.
- Experience building RESTful web services.
- Experience building unit tests.
- Strong understanding of SQL, database design and performance, entity relationships, and normalization.
- Experience with ORM and optimizing query performance.
- Understanding of algorithm complexity and Big 0 notation.
- Familiar with version control best practices (Git).
- Familiar with the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and have experience working on teams using one or more defined methodologies (Agile, Scrum, Kanban, Waterfall, etc)
You are extra awesome if you have
- Experience using issue tracking systems like JIRA.
- Familiarity with AWS, cloud based hosting, and serverless computing.
- Experience collaborating with a design team.
- Experience collaborating with a QA team.
- Experience with search engines like SOLR or ElasticSearch.
- Experience with some of the libraries we use (Sidekiq, ActiveAdmin, RSpec, Devise, OmniAuth.